Please sign my GUESTBOOK!! I paid extra so no ads will be sent to a posted email.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Chicken Joe - World Traveller Extraordinaire

Chicken Joe is the best travel buddy a soldier could ask for.  He is quiet, clean, and does not mind if I snore.  I found him in a claw machine at my local market in Trooper, PA a month or so before deploying.  I "adopted" him for a paltry $15 dollars and a few attempts at trying to snag him.  My son Patrick's help was instrumental in freeing him from the confines of his glass-encased-home.  He has been in one critically-acclaimed short documentary, "The Adventures of Chicken Joe", and is the main subject for a photo essay that has kept my kids connected to me while I travel.  I have taken pictures of Joe everywhere in connection with this deployment.  He has participated in weapons training, bivouacs, land navigation and patrolling, and first aid training.  He has been a loyal companion throughout our journey.  He has even been joined on the trip by his son and been visited by his late wife. (A story for some other time)  He will continue to trek across the Sinai while with me, and he hopes to see Israel, Mt Sinai, and Luxor if time permits.  JOE is sitting in front of the Egyptian National Museum in Cairo.  The museum displays thousands of artifacts from ancient Egypt.  The most famous of these is possibly the exhibit of King Tut.  There are thousands of pieces of furniture, weapons, clothes, coins, and any other item you can think of.  his jewelry collection is secure in a well guarded room and contains, among other items, his famous mask of gold.  It is behind a few inches of glass, but it is truly a masterpiece to behold in person.  

No comments: